Man considers dogs to be his best friend. But, a dog can be harmful to someone who is not familiar with your dog before.
In this case, you should keep your guest secure from your dog in the right way. First, you need a dog door to ensure your guest has freedom of movement in and out of the house. But what if your back door or front door is a sliding glass door?
Is it possible to install a dog door? If so, there is an easy solution for you! With sliding glass doors, you cannot only add a dog door but also easily lock it, thus ensuring your safety.
What is a sliding glass door with a dog door?
A sliding glass door with a dog door is a type of security system that allows your pet to come and go as they please while you’re away. The system consists of a panel that slides open, allowing your pet inside. When you dog return, the panel automatically closes to keep them safe and secure.
This type of security system is perfect for homes with pets who are often left alone or have trouble staying in one place. It also makes it easy to monitor your pet while you’re away, ensuring they stay safe and comfortable.
You do not require high-tech equipment or fancy tools to attach a dog door to your window. You can either install a glass panel with a dog door on the door frame or replace your existing glass door with one with a dog door. Also, locking a sliding glass door with a dog door is even simpler.
- Measuring tape
- Drill machine
- Lock installation kit
- Work Gloves
- Safety Goggles
- Utility Knife
How to lock a sliding door with a dog door?
You can lock a sliding door with a dog door in two ways.
- First, you spend money and engage a professional to perform this task for you.
- Second, you do it yourself.
Here are the steps you should follow to lock your sliding glass door securely. But you must decide whether you want to attach a glass panel with a dog door or replace the entire door.
If it’s a glass panel:
- Mount the panel into the door frame while keeping it close to the jamb.
- Detach the lock plate from the jamb.
- Attach the dog door panel to the door jamb and door head by loosely screwing it into place according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Next, close the sliding door and check that it is aligned with the dog door panel. When everything seems to be aligned, screw in the panel securely after a few trial and error runs.
You can also watch YouTube for more details.
If it’s a new door with an in-built dog door:
- Remove the old door and replace it with the new one, ensuring the door wheels roll smoothly.
- Remove the old door’s lock body and remove it from the new one. Then, attach it to the new one making the necessary cuts and notches.
- Close and lock the door to determine whether it is securely attached.
You can watch more about this method.
The installation method for your lock will vary based on the type of lock you have chosen. You should ensure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions correctly. The above guidelines apply to most lock types.
If nothing seems out of place, and you can lock the sliding door with the dog door, you have given your dog an easy way to access the outdoors while caring for your safety and security.
Different types of locks for sliding glass doors with dog door
Various types of locks are available for sliding glass doors with dog doors. The locks come in a variety of shapes and colors. However, we can classify them into a few categories for a basic understanding.
This is the most basic and common type of lock available for all types of doors. It can even lock in a loop. Although this lock is not the most reliable method of ensuring safety, but you can easily use it as a second layer of security.
There are many types of bolt locks available today. You can choose any lock depending on your interior, door type, frame, and color. However, the key-type bolt locks are the most secure locks.
It is a high-tech lock. A keypad is mounted outside the door, and you must enter a passcode to unlock it. The system is keyless. This type of lock requires the services of a professional.
They are similar to automatic locks, except you can unlock the door using your mobile phone instead of using a passcode.
Things When You Lock a Sliding Glass Door with a Dog Door
A few things should be kept in mind if you want to lock your sliding glass door with a dog door.
- Width of the Dog Door: This is very important. When installing a new door or glass panel, it should match your door frame’s width. If it is too thick or too thin, it will not fit and will not be able to be securely attached.
- Where to buy & price: You can buy the lock of your preference from any local hardware shop nearby. You can also check online, which will give an advantage of comparing the price of different brands and types and getting the best deal.
- Enhance the Security: You can easily enhance the security of the lock of your sliding dog glass door. You can use a security bar or a door slider stopper to keep your door locked.
Now that you have known how should you lock sliding glass door with dog door, hopefully, you will no longer lose your peace of mind worrying if you forgot to close your sliding door every time you let the dog out.
You don’t even have to keep opening the door when you want to come back in or go out – especially on the days your dog is extra energetic and happy. Now you can Lock your sliding glass door with a dog door like a pro and relax!