In today’s world, doorbells have become essential to our daily lives. Most modern doorbells allow us to know when someone is at our doorstep.
However, some doorbells may not be loud enough to alert us properly, which can cause a lot of inconveniences. Fortunately, there are several ways to make your doorbell louder and ensure you never miss a visitor again.
If your doorbell has a volume control, adjust it to increase the sound. If it doesn’t, you can try examining the case to see if there is a hidden volume control on the back.
Also, you can install a doorbell chime extender, like the LRA-EX1000S-L Doorbell Extender, to amplify the sound of a wireless chime.
If you have an older, wired doorbell, you can replace the transformer to increase the volume. Also, there are many different ways to make the doorbell louder.
In this blog post, I’ll share some top in-depth tips on how to make your doorbell louder and more effective, giving you peace of mind and greater home security.
Traditional Doorbell vs. Smart Doorbell: Which is Louder?
When hearing the sounds of doorbells, not all are created equal. Traditional doorbells have been around for years and have a distinct ring.
However, with their advanced technology, smart doorbells have entered the market and are becoming increasingly popular.
One of the main features of smart doorbells is the ability to customize the sound and volume.
With traditional doorbells, the volume is fixed and cannot be adjusted. But with a smart doorbell, you can increase the volume to make it louder—which can be especially helpful for those with hearing difficulties or to hear it in a larger home.
When choosing between a traditional and a smart doorbell, it’s important to consider what features are important to you, including volume.
How to Make an Old Doorbell Louder?
In most cases, old doorbells make sounds that aren’t loud enough to hear. As older doorbells don’t come with enough technology, it becomes difficult to fix them.
However, there are possible ways to make an old doorbell sound louder. Want to learn how to do so? Then check out the steps below.
- Locate your doorbell transformer: The transformer for your doorbell is usually located near the electrical panel. Look for a small box with wires coming out of it. Make sure to turn off the power before touching any wires.
- Adjust the transformer voltage: Using a screwdriver, adjust the voltage on the transformer. Turn it up to increase the volume of the doorbell. Be sure to test the doorbell after every adjustment so you can find the perfect volume for you.
- Check the wiring: Sometimes, loose wiring can cause your doorbell to be too quiet. Check the wiring to make sure everything is secure and properly connected.
- Consider buying a new doorbell: If adjusting the transformer voltage and checking the wiring doesn’t work, it might be time to invest in a new doorbell. There are many options available, including wireless or wired video doorbells.
I hope these tips help you make your old doorbell louder. Remember always to prioritize safety when working with electrical components.
How to Make a Wired Doorbell Louder?
Modern doorbells with advanced technology don’t come with a wired system. That’s why you won’t find a lot of functions in a wired doorbell.
That is why you might find increasing the sound of a wired doorbell is tougher. However, I used some effective tricks on my previous wired doorbell, and they worked.
You can follow the steps below to make your wired doorbell louder.
Step 1: Turn off the power
Before you start working on your doorbell, turn off the power at your home’s circuit breaker to avoid accidents.
Step 2: Remove the cover
Look at the cover of the chime and see if you can see clips that hold it to the chime itself. If not, use a screwdriver to remove the cover.
Step 3: Locate the transformer
Look for the transformer, which should be located near the chime. If you have trouble finding it, check the instruction manual that came with your doorbell.
Step 4: Replace the transformer
If your doorbell is older, consider replacing the transformer with a higher-voltage one. This will increase the volume of your chime.
Step 5: Tape the wires
After replacing the transformer, tape the wires in place so that you don’t lose them.
With these simple steps, you can make your wired doorbell louder and never miss a visitor again.
But I cannot guarantee that this trick will work in your case. Sometimes, a wired doorbell produces sounds that are not louder because of multiple issues.
In this case, you might have to replace it with a new one or just use a doorbell extender. Don’t you know what that is? Check the next section to learn about a doorbell extender.
If you want to use a wired Extend-A-Chime that is compatible with most doorbells, you can watch the below video for review and how to step/install them.
How to Make a Doorbell Louder Using a Doorbell Extender?
If you have a wireless doorbell, like the Ring Video Doorbell, you can install a doorbell chime extender, which will boost the sound of your chime.
It’s a great way to increase the volume and authenticity of your doorbell sound. So, let me guide you on installing a doorbell extender and making your doorbell louder easily.
You can read my guide on Ring Chime Pro Vs Wifi Extender: Which Is Better?
Step 1: Buy a Doorbell Extender
You can purchase a doorbell extender online or from your local hardware store. Make sure to choose one that is compatible with your current doorbell system.
Step 2: Connect the Doorbell Chime Extender
Connecting a doorbell chime extender may seem daunting, but with these simple steps, you can easily improve the functionality of your doorbell system.
Here’s how you can connect a wired doorbell extender to your existing doorbell system:
1. First, ensure your doorbell system is turned off at the circuit breaker to avoid any electrical shocks.
2. Now locate your existing doorbell chime box. You will typically find it near your front door or in a hallway.
3. Find the wires that are connected to the chime box and remove the cover.
4. Connect the wires from the extender to the wires on the chime box. Make sure the wires are securely connected. You can use wire connectors to fasten them together. (If you use Wifi enabled doorbell extender like Ring Chime Pro, you can watch the below video to install)
5. Now attach the extender to the wall or a nearby surface using screws or adhesive tape.
6. Turn the power back on at the circuit breaker.
7. Test the doorbell system by pushing the doorbell button. You should now hear a chime from the extender in addition to the original chime.
For sure, a doorbell extender is a great way to increase the volume and authenticity of your doorbell’s sound.
What Else to Do to Make a Doorbell Louder?
I am hopeful that any of the above instructions will work in the case of your doorbell. If none of them work, you might have to buy one.
But before that, you can check it once again. If you think it is okay, you can try something else.
I also know about some tips that sometimes work. Let’s check them out.
- Try cleaning the speakers of your electronic doorbell, as dirt and debris can clog them up and dampen the sound.
- Check your device’s volume settings and ensure they’re turned up as high as they can go.
- You can add a quality doorbell extender or chime that amplifies the sound throughout your home.
- You can even replace your existing doorbell with a wireless one that comes with multiple chimes and adjustable volume settings.
With these simple steps, you’ll never miss a visitor again! If these options also fail, you might have to change them completely.
These are some simple and effective ways to make your doorbell louder. Have you tried any of these methods before? Or maybe you have your DIY solution?
If you ever fixed your old doorbell, please share the tricks with us. Also, share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
Happy doorbell ringing!