Burglar alarms can protect your property from intruders, but it can be annoying to have false alarms. Things can get worse when you forget or don’t have the code to turn it off!
Disarming the burglar alarm without a code is quite a hassle. You can disconnect the alarm from power, disarm it from the control panel, reset the whole system, or use some override methods to turn it off.
These methods may sound a little tricky, but don’t worry; I will talk about this today to help you out.
3 Ways To Turn Off Burglar Alarm Without A Code
Turning off the burglar alarm without a security code is never a good idea. But it’s natural to forget things, and so does the code.
I also forgot the code once, and I asked help from my professional technician friend to overcome this situation. Here are some ways that I learned from my experience about turning off the burglar alarm without a code:
Disconnect The Alarm From Power
You can disconnect your burglar alarm from the power source to turn it off. It’s the easiest and quickest way to turn it off without code.
You must locate the power source of the alarm system to do this. You need to disconnect the box, which is secured to the wall with an outlet, by removing the main fuse that controls the whole power supply of your house. Your alarm will no longer be operating.
But, if you have a hardwired burglar alarm, there might be a backup battery. You must remove it also to turn off the alarm altogether.
Remove Backup Battery
As I said earlier, hardwired burglar alarms have backup batteries. So, disconnecting from the AC power source will not completely turn off the alarm.
Before handling the backup battery, make sure the AC power is turned off to prevent electrical shocks. The battery is inside the control panel. Remove the screws that secure the battery. After removing the cover, disconnect the battery wires.
The burglar alarm will be completely turned off once you disconnect both the main power source and the backup battery. You can go through the user manual for guidance if you need more clarification about the backup battery location.
Use The Emergency Shut-Off Key
Some burglar alarms have an emergency shut-off button or physical key. The button is generally located on the alarm control panel. Press the button or insert the physical key to disable the alarm when you don’t have the code.
You can go through the user manual of your alarm to know whether you have a shutoff button or a physical key. The manual will also tell you where the switch is.
You cannot skip the code if you want to apply this override method. Although you don’t have the security code, there are some other codes in the user manual that you can use to disable or turn off your burglar alarm. Here they are:
- Default manufacturer code or master code: The manufacturer code or master code is available in the user manual, or you can have it from the alarm company. You can use them to turn off the alarm.
- Standard default code: Many alarm companies use the common default codes like “1234” or “0000”. You can try them, but they might not be compatible with every alarm system.
However, you can go for this override method when you don’t have enough expertise to turn off the alarm manually. But, if you don’t have access to or remind these codes, physically turning them off is the only option left.
Why May You Need To Turn Off A Burglar Alarm Without A Code?
When you ask about turning off a burglar alarm without a code, it might sound suspicious, but that’s not always the case. There could be some valid reason behind this. Here are some reasons why you may need to:
- Forgetting the code: Forgetting the code is the most valid and common reason why you may need to turn off the alarm without the code. That’s what happened to me. If you often forget things and numbers, you can write them down on paper and keep them in a safe place.
- A damaged or broken keypad: If you have a broken alarm interface or some key is not working and suddenly your alarm goes off, you cannot insert the code and have to turn it off manually without the code.
- Power outage: When there is a frequent power outage at your home, you may need to turn it off manually to make it operate properly.
Safety Precautions For Switching Off The Burglar Alarm Without Code
You must do it manually when you are about to disarm your burglar alarm without a code. At that point, I recommend you take proper precautions and consider some things. Let’s take a look at what they are:
- You must be aware of the laws in your area about turning off or disarming a burglar alarm, especially when you do this without the security code. Make sure you have the right or authorization to do so.
- Wear protective gear while approaching the power source or control panel.
- Don’t touch any exposed wires in the control panel. While removing the battery.
- Be sure about the warranty policy of the alarm company. Some companies won’t give you warranty privileges if you disarm the alarm without informing them.
- Inform or notify the alarm company or relevant authority about your turning off the alarm.
- You must follow and stick to the user manual provided by the alarm company.
Frequently Asked Questions
You might still have some queries regarding this. I understand that it’s a technical issue, and that’s why I will try to answer some of the common questions in this section.
Your burglar alarm might work if the alarm has a backup battery. This system is fitted to keep your burglar alarm running during a power cut.
It depends on the law of your area. You can contact the local law enforcement authority or your alarm company to ensure compliance issues.
No, unless you don’t damage any component in the control panel while removing the battery, it will not damage your burglar alarm.
Well, the answer is simple, just remember the code. You can write it down or save it in your phonebook. You should also test and maintain your alarm regularly to prevent malfunction. Make sure you have backup plans in case of a power outage.
So, it is possible to turn off a burglar alarm without a code, but not all systems allow their users to do so. But you can turn off most of the burglar alarms with the methods I have shown you.
If turning off without a code is unavailable in your burglar alarm system, you must contact your alarm company for assistance. Do it as early as possible to stop the false alarm when you don’t have the code.
Before going to exit the page, you can read our guide should you set a burglar alarm at nite or not.