Is the door chime of your ADT alarm system causing unnecessary noise in your home? Whether it’s due to pets, children, or personal preference, you might be looking for a way to turn off the door chime sound.
In this blog post, I’ll provide you with step-by-step guides to help you accomplish this.
Features to Turn Off and On the ADT Door Chime
To turn on or off the door chime on your ADT alarm system, you can utilize some of the following features:
- Silent Mode: Switching on Silent Mode will disable the door chime, ensuring a quiet environment when someone enters or leaves your home.
- Volume Control: Adjust the chime sound level to your desired preference, avoiding overly loud or soft tones.
- Customizable Chime Tones: Personalize your ADT door chime by selecting fun and unique sounds that suit your style and make you smile.
- Delay Chime: This option allows you to set a timer, so the door chime doesn’t sound immediately when the door is opened. It’s useful for situations like carrying groceries or hosting a party with frequent guests.
Guide#1: For Keypad ADT Alarm System
If you have an older model of the ADT alarm system, follow these steps to turn off the door chime:
- Open the ADT alarm keypad and locate the Chime button.
- Hold the Chime button for 3 seconds. If you hear a long sound from the keypad, it means the chime feature is disabled.
- If your ADT alarm system doesn’t have a door chime button, press the [*] and  key buttons.
Note: Specific models may have different instructions. If you don’t have the manual or need further assistance, consider contacting ADT customer support or your nearest ADT dealer.
Guide#2: For Commanded Panel ADT Alarm System
- For modern ADT command panel-based alarm systems, follow these steps:
- Go to the ADT display command panel.
- Select the ‘Tools’ option.
- Enter your code (default code: 1234).
- Access the ‘advanced’ option (regular settings) and locate ‘Voice Chime’. You can turn it off to silence the chime. If all options are white, no sound will be produced.
How Do I Turn off ADT Chime without a Code?
If you’ve lost your ADT alarm code or don’t know the password, you can physically disable the alarm to turn off the chime. Afterwards, you can reset your alarm system to set a new password or code. Follow these steps:
Locate your ADT alarm panel, usually near the front door or in the hallway.
- Find the “Chime” button on the panel.
- Press and hold the “Chime” button for about 3 seconds until you hear a quick beep.
- Release the “Chime” button, and the word “Chime” will disappear from the panel’s screen.
- If you have a wireless keypad, press the “Function” button, then press the “9” key to toggle the chime on and off.
Please be aware that these steps may not apply to all ADT models, but they are worth trying.
Why Is The Door Chime Going Off Randomly?
The door chime on your ADT alarm system may go off randomly due to the following reasons:
Wires: Old or damaged wires can trigger the door chime unexpectedly. It’s important to check and repair them if necessary.
Low Batteries: If the batteries in your door chime are running low, it can cause the chime to malfunction. Replace the batteries to resolve the issue.
Temperature Changes: Extreme temperature fluctuations can affect the door chime’s operation. Adjust the chime’s sensitivity accordingly.
Pets or Strong Winds: Mischievous pets or gusts of wind can inadvertently trigger the door chime. Adjust the sensitivity or keep pets away from the door to address this issue.
To turn off the low battery sound, simply replace the battery with a new one. This will stop the alarm from beeping.
It’s recommended to replace your ADT alarm system’s door chime batteries once a year, although the frequency may vary depending on usage.
Deactivate the CHIME mode by pressing the 9 CHIME KEY on your alarm system. Once you turn off the CHIME mode, the alarm system won’t beep when a door opens.
Yes, most newer versions of ADT security systems allow you to change the chime sound. You can choose from a variety of tones (usually 20) to personalize your chime. Note that this won’t affect the alarm sirens, as they have pre-set sounds that cannot be altered.
The Bottom Line
I hope this guide has helped you in turning off the door chime on your ADT alarm system. Always refer to your user manual or contact ADT customer support if you have any further questions or concerns.
If you have another alarm system like Honeywell, you can read our guide to fixing Honeywell alarm panel beeping.