Are you thinking of upgrading your home security system? Are you looking for a way to monitor visitors to your home or office? Or do you simply want to add a touch of convenience to your everyday life? If so, a video doorbell could be just what you need.
In this blog post, I’ll share the pros and cons of video doorbells so that you can make an informed decision on whether this type of home security device is right or wrong for you.
What is a Video Doorbell?
A video doorbell is an electronic device that allows you to view and communicate with visitors at your front door. It’s a great way to keep your home secure and to be aware of who’s coming and going.
You can connect video doorbells with Wi-Fi, so you can easily access them from anywhere in the world from a smartphone app. They also come with many features, such as real-time notifications, night vision, two-way audio, motion detection, etc.
For these smart features, it is one of the most popular smart home security solutions. Using a video doorbell in front of your door, you can always be aware of who’s entering or leaving your home.
According to a report by Strategy Analytics, the video doorbell sold in the United States in 2021 is around 5 million. In addition, 38% of Americans own a home security product and Amazon Ring has partnered with over 2,000 US law enforcement agencies.
Pros & Cons of Video Doorbells
Video doorbells are a great security measure, as they can be used to monitor your home while you’re not there. However, all video doorbells aren’t perfect.
- You can use a video doorbell remotely to monitor your property, which can be helpful if you’re away.
- They’re relatively affordable, and many models come with free cloud storage so you can review footage from any device.
- Some models have motion sensors and can automatically send you a notification if someone enters or leaves your property.
- You can install them in a matter of minutes.
- Video doorbells can also help you with two-way communication with your front door.
- Video footage helps to solve identify burglaries or other incidents.
- You can share monitoring access with friends, family, and neighbors.
- It is good to use with other smart devices.
- Most doorbells work with security cameras.
- You can control everything with a simple smartphone app.
- Most doorbells have both video recording and ring bell systems.
- Monitor door 24/7.
- Some video doorbells can be difficult to see if it’s dark outside or if the person is wearing a hood or a disguise.
- A few models have limited functionality, such as being limited to monitoring one address at a time.
- Some people find them intrusive, and they can be a little tricky to set up.
- Some models don’t work well in cold weather.
- The night viewing distance for doorbell cameras is limited compared to other camera types.
- You may need a strong Wi-Fi connection.
- The range of the doorbell cameras is not high.
- Most video doorbells do not have a backup system.
Type of video doorbells
Here’s a look at the different types of video doorbells available, so you can make an informed decision about which one is best for your home.
Cost Considerations for Installing a Video Doorbell
You can install video doorbells quickly and easily, and they offer a great way to keep your home safe while also providing convenience. But before you make the decision to install one in your home, there are a few cost considerations to take into account.
You’ll need to consider the cost of the doorbell itself. Depending on the features you’re looking for, you could pay anywhere from $50 for a basic model to over $200 for one with more advanced features like night vision or motion detection.
You’ll also need to consider any installation costs if you opt for professional installation instead of doing it yourself.
Next, you should consider the ongoing costs. Some models require to cloud storage subscription fees for storing your recordings. Whereas, others use local storage only and are therefore free of monthly fees.
Additionally, some models may require batteries that will need to be replaced periodically depending on usage.
Moreover, don’t forget to include any additional equipment costs such as chargers and carrying cases. All things can add to the overall price and make your purchase more expensive than it initially appears.
Installation and Setup Process for a Video Doorbell
The installation and setup process for a video doorbell doesn’t have to be complicated. With the right tools and preparation, you can set up your video doorbell quickly and securely.
Here are some steps to help you get started:
Below is the video that you will you to setup your Ring doorbell step by step:
Privacy Considerations with Video Doorbells
Video doorbells offer a great way to keep your home safe and secure. But there are some privacy considerations when you install a video doorbell in your home.
It is true that privacy concerns have been raised over the technology. Some doorbell storage footage on their cloud server. So it is the most privacy factor is how will be safe there.
Sometimes video footage is potentially shared with third parties such as law enforcement or hackers. So it’s another factor.
Additionally, if you live in an apartment complex or other shared living space, you should consider how neighbors may feel about having their privacy violated by a camera on their doorstep.
You should also make sure that all of the necessary security measures are taken when connecting the device to Wi-Fi networks. Ensure that no unauthorized users can access your footage or data.
I hope you enjoyed reading about the pros and cons of having a video doorbell. I believe that adding this technology to your home will be a great asset in terms of security.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d love to hear from you!
[Updated by Palash Talukder]